Ecotrust’s Impact with Your Support
We put your donations to work
During the past 10 years, Ecotrust has invested 88 percent of its resources in projects that build a more resilient economy and healthy environment right here at home. Our financial stewardship throughout this time has consistently earned Ecotrust the highest possible rating from Charity Navigator, the premier American charity evaluator.
We create impact in this region and beyond
In the past 20 years, your contributions have helped Ecotrust:
- Leverage $80 million of grants and investments to create $500 million in capital for the people, communities and businesses of the west coast, from Alaska to California.
- Invest $102.5 million in New Markets Tax Credits from the U.S. Treasury Department into depressed rural communities, with the goal of bringing jobs and long-term health to communities and forests.
- Build Food Hub, a dynamic online marketplace for local and regional food buyers and sellers, from California to Alaska.
- Develop the Community Fisheries Network to support local fishermen nationwide.
- Design marine planning platforms for the state of California, one of which accommodated over 20,000 protected area proposals from citizens and allowed the state to successfully forge 52 final protected zones. Our marine planning work earned Ecotrust and partners the inaugural U.S. Institute for Environmental Conflict Resolution’s “Innovation in Technology and Environmental Conflict Resolution” Award in 2010 and a coveted Tech Award in 2011.
- Map the coastal temperate rainforest of North America (spanning mid-Alaska to northern California), leading to its recognition as the largest forest of its type in the world.
- Work with the Haisla First Nation to establish the 800,000-acre Kitlope Heritage Conservancy in British Columbia, protecting perhaps the largest intact watershed of coastal temperate rainforest in the world.
- Publish more than 25 books and hundreds of research papers and documents.
- Launch Ecotrust Forests LLC, one of the world's first forest ecosystem investment fund, now with thousands of acres under management on the West Coast.
- Co-found the world's first environmental bank ShoreBank Pacific (now One PacificCoast Bank) and Shorebank Enterprise Cascadia.
- Create the North Pacific Fisheries Trust, a $6 million fund leveraged by community-based fishermen in Oregon, Washington and Alaska to buy catch shares and make capital improvements.
- Complete America's first LEED-certified-gold historic building renovation, the Jean Vollum Natural Capital Center in Portland, Oregon.
- Launch and manage a targeted salmon habitat investment program, the Whole Watershed Restoration Initiative, for state and federal agencies working in the Northwest.
- Build a network of America's most important indigenous leaders, and recognizing them each year through the Ecotrust Indigenous Leadership Awards.
- Create a Vivid Picture of sustainable agriculture in California, the first statewide, holistic assessment of agriculture in the world based on social, economic and environmental principles.
We are accountable to you
We want you to have as much information as possible about how Ecotrust operates and how carefully and effectively we use your donations. We believe that it is our responsibility to be excellent stewards of the financial resources entrusted to us. We monitor and evaluate the efficacy of our programs and conduct regular internal and external financial audits.
Several documents are available for your review:
- Our annual financial statement, audited by independent auditors
- Our annual report, which includes key accomplishments and a financial summary
- Our current IRS Form 990, filed annually by public charities
- A list of our institutional partners and major supporters